Candler Hospital History
Candler Hospital is Georgia's first hospital and the second-longest continuously operating hospital in the United States.
The beginnings of the hospital's ministry of healing are closely associated with the history of medicine in the earliest days of the colony of Georgia. Events transpiring in the 1730s have culminated in the Candler of today-roughly 275 years and eight generations later.
1804-1872 - Georgia Colony's first hospital was founded for sick seamen in 1804. In 1808, it became incorporated and was named the Savannah Poor House and Hospital. The hospital was initially located in a private home on Joachin Street. In 1819, the hospital erected its first building. In 1872, the name was changed to Savannah Hospital.
1872-1888 - Savannah Hospital was headquarters for the Savannah Medical School and home to the city's first nursing school.
1930 - Savannah Hospital was acquired by the Georgia Hospital Board of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and renamed in honor of the Bishop, Warren A. Candler.
1960 - Candler Hospital joined forces with the longest operating women's hospital in the United States, the Telfair Hospital for Females. Created in 1886 through the estate of Mary Telfair, the hospital became Candler's obstetrical unit.
1980 - Candler Hospital moved to its current location on Reynolds Street. Believed to be the second-oldest general hospital in continuous operation in the United States, Candler Hospital has serviced more than nine generations of Savannah-area families.
1997 - Candler Hospital entered into a joint operating agreement with St. Joseph's Hospital and together formed St. Joseph's/Candler, the region's largest and most experienced healthcare provider.